An Excursion to the Old World

I am a student at the University of Toronto (Canada), going on what was once called "the Grand Tour" -- a trip around the whole of Northern Europe (and, perhaps, in the near future, Southern Europe as well). My parents and I should be spending about 3 months on our tour. I hope you will enjoy reading about my experiences, and feel free to suggest places to go (or pictures to take).

Wednesday, November 02, 2005

A note on the Meaning of Words

Just a funny note (found this out in the museum).

The word "symposium" comes from the Greek root: drinking together. Apparently the Greeks thought the most useful part of the day came from the drinking (in their case, normally of wine) at the end of the day.

I guess we should think about that the next time we go to a scientific symposium. (Also, most of the real work at symposia seems to happen off the stage, at the informal meetings afterwards -- so perhaps the Greeks had a point after all).

1 Comments:

At 6:41 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...
f

Oh Arjun, that's what we've been telling you since high school. When you're back in the city, I'll buy you a drink. Ohhh, let's go for some Sake and bento boxes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home