An Excursion to the Old World

I am a student at the University of Toronto (Canada), going on what was once called "the Grand Tour" -- a trip around the whole of Northern Europe (and, perhaps, in the near future, Southern Europe as well). My parents and I should be spending about 3 months on our tour. I hope you will enjoy reading about my experiences, and feel free to suggest places to go (or pictures to take).

Friday, November 04, 2005

Sir Neville Marriner Conducting the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields Orchestra

As I mentioned earlier, this performance was really the treat of the week.

Sir Neville Marriner is the founding conductor of the Academy of St. Martins in the Field Orchestra, and has guest conducted most of the premier orchestras in the world (for which work he was knighted) -- as such a real treat.

As is probably known, the Academy is one of the best orchestras in the world (probably the best chamber orchestra). Though they are based at London, this performance was their only one in London, in the month of November (and so my only chance to listen).

I had some nice seats (right in the middle of the stalls), and so, the sound was excellent (but I can't speak for the rest of the hall).

All this was the plus -- However, I did not much fancy the composers whose music they were planning to play, particularly Stravinsky (who has a style of more discordant music, that I don't particularly like) -- I know you musical types out there will be keeling over with my lack of knowledge of appropriate musical terminology. (Sorry in advance for my traversties!)

But, it turned out that the piece by Stravisky was a work where he was asked to simply rework an existing piece of work (originally from the Barouque period). He did add some of his characterisitic touches, but, here, they really enhanced the piece. For one entire section, he had only the trombone, cells, and double basses (spelling?) playing. So, one great piece.

The other piece was the music by Rosselli, one of his operas. I personally did not like it as much as the Stravinsky piece, but it a lighter piece to finish up the evening.

I guess that there is one disadvantage to having an old conductor. By clapping for a few minutes, the audience managed to bring Sir Marriner back -- and, judging from the looks of the orchestral members, they thought that they would play an encore piece -- however, he didn't want to, and walked off the stage after a few more bows.

So, no encore -- but still a wonderful evening (punctuated by some glimpses of some great cars -- see my previous post)

Sorry there are no pictures, but I guessed they would not allow photography at the hall, and so did not bring my camera.

1 Comments:

At 12:59 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...
f

seems your enjoying your stay. i wish i was there :-(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home