An Excursion to the Old World

I am a student at the University of Toronto (Canada), going on what was once called "the Grand Tour" -- a trip around the whole of Northern Europe (and, perhaps, in the near future, Southern Europe as well). My parents and I should be spending about 3 months on our tour. I hope you will enjoy reading about my experiences, and feel free to suggest places to go (or pictures to take).

Saturday, December 10, 2005

White Horse Hill - Glacial Events

White Horse Hill, itself, was carved by a glacier, during the last ice age, about 12000 years ago.

You can hear a professor explain, in great detail, about glacial features (moraines, gulches, deep cut tongues, and isotactic depression of the ground) for as long as you want -- and you can run around Southern Canada trying to look for images of glacial features -- but you can't really see (and comprehend) them in Canada. (Even in a small plane, close to the ground, you can't see such features clearly). In contrast, just look at the images in the next few posts (from a country which no one really thinks of when you mention the word "glacier").

Here you can see White Horse Hill from the bottom. White Horse Hill marks the end of the glacial extension in England. As such, tongues (I think technically the word is glacial lobes) of glacial ice would have spread to this point, without the entire glacier doing so.

Here, in the area called the Manger (legend has it that the White Horse would come here to graze in the night), you can see an area cut out by tongue of glacial ice. The deep undulating pattern of gulches on the side (and I apologize to the Geologists for my inaccurate terminology -- correct me if you will), are similarly caused by glacial cutting, followed by weathering by water. Posted by Picasa

1 Comments:

At 5:32 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...
f

Ahahaha....reminds me too much of BIO150 with Paul Jeffreys...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home