An Excursion to the Old World

I am a student at the University of Toronto (Canada), going on what was once called "the Grand Tour" -- a trip around the whole of Northern Europe (and, perhaps, in the near future, Southern Europe as well). My parents and I should be spending about 3 months on our tour. I hope you will enjoy reading about my experiences, and feel free to suggest places to go (or pictures to take).

Friday, December 09, 2005

The real riches of Wiltshire

Wiltshire and the surrounding plain of central southern England probably one of the oldest continuously inhabited areas of the world.

In my last post, I mentioned the "riches" of Witshire. In truth, these are not the Bentley showrooms of the place, but the archaelogical sites spread around the plains and downs of England.

(By the way, the word "downs" simply means a land with lots of small hills (i.e. a land that goes up and down)).

These archaeological sites include Avesbury (the lesser known cousin of Stonehenge), Stonehenge itself, and, to me the best one -- the Wiltshire (Uffington) White Horse, and the associated Weyland Smithy.

I'll talk about Avesbury and Stonehenge in a later post. However, the Wiltshire White Horse first.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home