An Excursion to the Old World

I am a student at the University of Toronto (Canada), going on what was once called "the Grand Tour" -- a trip around the whole of Northern Europe (and, perhaps, in the near future, Southern Europe as well). My parents and I should be spending about 3 months on our tour. I hope you will enjoy reading about my experiences, and feel free to suggest places to go (or pictures to take).

Friday, December 16, 2005

White Horse - 3

I swear I was not walking on the horse while taking this picture of its ear.

I straddled the chalk line (which again confirms my point that it is not very wide), and zoomed in, to get a good look at this, probably the widest part of the horse.

As you can see, the white horse is made up of small chunks of chalk, and not chalk dust, or chalk blocks. The Saxons had simply dug a trench, and filled it with chalk.




Just for information's sake, it really was not very safe on the hill - the wind howling down at time seemed almost strong enough to fling you off the hill (which was a steep drop down the manger).

(A few days later, I returned to the hill, and on that day, much sunnier, there were people who were essentially parasailing from the hill -- so the wind can indeed be quite strong). Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home