An Excursion to the Old World

I am a student at the University of Toronto (Canada), going on what was once called "the Grand Tour" -- a trip around the whole of Northern Europe (and, perhaps, in the near future, Southern Europe as well). My parents and I should be spending about 3 months on our tour. I hope you will enjoy reading about my experiences, and feel free to suggest places to go (or pictures to take).

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

The Autobahn

On the subject of the autobahn, here's proof that we were moving too fast to get a good picture of a fox.

(By the way, I wasn't driving -- my dad was.)


At the risk of switching topics (and countries), the autobahn really is an amazing road system. The beauty of the system is not merely the high speeds.

From place to place the autobahn does institute a speed limit (for example, on sharp turns). However, the smazing thing is that the speed limit that they give is exactly what you probably could handle on such a curve -- i.e. the curve was banked to a proper degree, so that such a speed is probably the maximum bearable (for everyone outside of Michael Schumacher).

I wish Canadian highways were so comfortable to drive on. We drove 1400 km in one day on the Autobahn, and still had time to sightsee when we reached our halfway point, before driving on. -- and it took only 8.5 hours of driving total.

(I think the secret is in the banked curves -- curves here in Canada are not banked as much as the ones in Germany.)

Anyway, back to England and Longleat. Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home