An Excursion to the Old World

I am a student at the University of Toronto (Canada), going on what was once called "the Grand Tour" -- a trip around the whole of Northern Europe (and, perhaps, in the near future, Southern Europe as well). My parents and I should be spending about 3 months on our tour. I hope you will enjoy reading about my experiences, and feel free to suggest places to go (or pictures to take).

Thursday, February 23, 2006

Kestrel Pictures

Earlier, I said that it was almost impossible to take an image of a kestrel -- even though I saw so many of them in England.

In the end, I had to wait until I reached Germany, before I managed to take a couple of good photos. Here's one of the better ones.


And here's one of my favourites -- with the kestrel just entering flight. This was actually a setup photo. This kestrel sat in one of three trees for about 5 hours (we saw it earlier in the morning, and when we came back in the evening, it was still there). Throughout that time, it kept flying from tree to tree.

I tried for about half and hour to get a natural picture of it -- but by the time I had inched close to it on one tree --- it would fly to the next tree.

I realized that from Tree A, the kestrel would always fly to Tree B -- so, when he took off from Tree A, I focused on Tree B.

Well -- for the one and only time -- the bird flew to Tree C, bypassing Tree B.

I began to think that that bird had it in for me.

Well, finally, when the bird sat down at one of the trees, I focused on it -- and then got my mum to yell and spook the kestrel -- startled, it started to fly away -- and I got the picture below (after more than 30 minutes of freezing, hard work).

 Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home